I’ve contacted Hannspree two times since my last update on this topic, but till today there is nothing new to tell. I don’t think we’ll see a release anytime, which would be a GPL violation. But I’ve neither the energy, nor the time to contact anyone or something about it. Maybe I’ll just sell the tablet, before the price is going to far down. For me a device I can’t tinker with is defective and unusable. But then again I could put some games on it for my children. Time will tell…
Ich werde, bzw. bin schon dabei, in den nächsten Stunden ein wenig am Blog basteln. Also nicht wundern wenn es gerade mal komisch aussieht oder etwas nicht funktioniert
Today Hannspree put the Uboot and kernel sources online for the SN97T41W. You can find them on http://www.hannspree.co.uk/products/tablet-pc/pad/7-10/sn97t41w
But till now no device files, I’ve just asked for them. But if we don’t get them, we can build some based on the other mentioned tablet, from which I’ve created the git’s. Would just be hell less work if we get them
Update: The released kernel source is incomplete, whole directories are missing. I’ve already contacted Hannspree UK on this issue. Nonetheless I’ve already created a git for it.
Till now I’ve got no new information from Hannspree, which is kind of frustrating. I’ve now also written directly to Infotmic but I don’t think they’ll answer.
I already started own repositories, based on the source code for the i-onik TP7-1000DC – a very similar device. You can find them in my Github profile, but till now they’re not more than skeletons based on the other device. If you want to help, just fork them and make a pull request afterwards.
I’ll keep you (Hi Nick, lol ) updated.
Update 11.10.2013 10:30
I just got informed that the source code release is scheduled for 24. October – seems they get serious
And again, another week and another update.
I won’t ask them again. But I’m still not sure what to do if they won’t deliver. Most likely complaining to FSF…
Today I recieved my unit back from the repaircenter. Luckily they put a note beside it, telling which defect was found/repaired. And guess what, my thoughts where correct (of course lol) – the display connector was loose and was put back in place. Wanna bet that opening the case took longer then the repair.
The repair itself, as soon as it started – see the problems in the original post, went quite satisfing.
It could be a bit faster, but hey – they had no obligation to repair it and additionally one should keep the sale value of the device in mind. The case got opened on 28. August, on 30. August the first pickup should happen but I was at work. Real pickup happened on 3. September and inbound date at NovaServe was – according the RMA note – 11. September. Here we have little “lag”, real inbound date was 4. September (taken from shipping notes from the parcel service). Guess they had a bit backlog on devices to repair. On 13. September I’ve got an automated email, tellling me my device will be shipped back in the next days. On the same day I’ve got the parcel number, plus shipping announcement, from the parcel service.
Conclusion: As soon as they really got their hands on the device, both – the device and shipment – was handled quite fast. And more importantly: the defect was even fixed (If you ever RMA’ed an iPhone you know what I mean )
Now it would be cool to finally get the sourcecode…
The last given answer was, that I’ll get an update on monday. Monday passed, so I thought it would be time for a reminder
This is what I got in reply: